Rose oil has an extraordinarily complex chemistry, with over 300 known constituents. It brings balance and harmony to the body.
The smell of a rose is one of those experiences that can ignite fond memories of young love and backyard gardens. But did you know that roses are more than a pretty smell? It’s true, for they have therapeutic benefits that can help heal many health conditions.
Rose Essential Oil Profile
Rose essential oil is made by extracting Rosa damascena, and researchers have uncovered that it contains several therapeutic compounds known to promote healing in the body:
- Citronellol – effective mosquito repellant (also found in citronella).
- Citral – strong antimicrobial that is necessary for vitamin A synthesis (also found in lemon myrtle and lemongrass).
- Carvone – effective digestive aid (also found in caraway and dill).
- Citronellyl Acetate – responsible for the pleasant flavor and aroma of roses, which is why it’s used in many skin and beauty products.
- Eugenol – powerhouse behind clove, the richest antioxidant in the world.
- Farnesol – natural pesticide (also found in orange blossom, jasmine and ylang-ylang).
- Methyl Eugenol – local antiseptic and anesthetic (also found in cinnamon and lemon balm).
- Nerol – sweet-smelling aromatic antibiotic compound (also found in lemongrass and hops).
- Phenyl Acetaldehyde – another sweet-smelling and aromatic compound (also found in chocolate).
- Phenyl Geraniol – natural form of geraniol, which is commonly used in perfumes and fruit flavorings.
Rose essential oil, which is created through a simple process of steam distillation, has been used to treat health conditions and used in natural beauty treatments for thousands of years.
Is said to be anti-depressant, antiseptic, anti-spasmodic, bactericidal (strep, staph, E. coli, anthrax, diphtheria), choleretic, diuretic, hemostatic (anti-hemorrhagic), hepatic, laxative, regulator of appetite, splenetic, nervous sedative, stomachic and tonic (heart and liver). May assist anti-hemorrhaging, anti-infectious, preventing scarring, asthma, chronic bronchitis, tuberculosis, skin disease, wounds, ulcers, sprains, wrinkles, broken capillaries, aids conjunctivitis, eczema, zona (herpes, shingles), excellent for babies, radiation burns, thrush, gingivitis, revitalize and rejuvenate dry, sensitive or aging skin.
Beneficial for: chronic and bronchial asthma, hay fever, sore throats, sedative for contusions and sprains, poor circulation, palpitations, lowers high blood pressure, arrhythmia, cardiotonic and lowers level of cholesterol. Assists mouth ulcers, mouth infections, gingivitis, inflamed gallbladder, liver congestion, bile stimulant, hangovers, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, aids gastro-intestinal ulcers, immune stimulant, diphtheria, urinary infections, aids irregular menstruation, period pain, aids psychological impotence, frigidity, sterility, sexual weakness in males and females (with Vitamin A).
Aromatic Influences: stimulating and elevating to the mind, creating a sense of well being, helps release past hurts and bring a feeling of love.
References & Excerpts: